Helpful Hints For Post-Op Orthognathic Surgery
- Use ice for the first 48 hours following surgery. This will help with swelling. Leave on for 20-30 minutes and take off for 10-15 minutes. Repeat cycle.
- Sleep sitting up, or prop up on pillows for the first week. This will help with swelling.
- Using a pediatric size tooth brush with SOFT bristles will make it easier to keep your mouth clean.
- Use VASELINE to prevent dry, chapped lips.
- Chef Boyardee
- Mashed potatoes
- Spaghetti (cut up)
- Milk Shakes
- Eggs (scrambled, poached, etc)
- Grits, Oatmeal, etc
- Ice Cream (with out nuts)
- Macaroni & Cheese
- Pasta Roni (cut up)
- Baked Potatoes
- Apple sauce
- Carnation Instant Breakfast
- Baby Food
** Remember, the rule is: If it is softer than Macaroni & Cheese, you can have it!!!
Please remember that these are only suggestions. Please feel free to walk the grocery store isles for ideas. There are a lot of convenient foods available today that will fall under the “soft” category. Just remember NO CHEWING FOR 6 WEEKS. You can always try to mash the food on the roof of your mouth, mash it with a fork, or put it in a food processor for a few seconds, so that it is easier to get down. Be careful not to choke. Be creative, you will be surprised what you can eat!